So I spent most of yesterday driving back and forth to Cedar Rapids, and that was fun. Today, I spent the day sleeping and shopping, getting ready for tomorrow. (And I got to go to Costco for the first time! Cool!)
Anyway, I promised to provide some details for the weekend. Here they are:
CW: This is the Thanksgiving letter. It is very long because it is a work in progress; I add to it almost every year in a hodgepodge of additions. You do not have to read it all. But I would like you to respond to it. :-) And for those of you who did not see it before, here is the reading workshop letter. Also: Don't forget that you need to have read Pete Ferry's book by next week.
E3H: Your assignment for the weekend is to read Chapter One of Portrait. That assignment would normally be due on Tuesday, but in this case I'd actually like it on Monday so I can check annotations and give you back your books on Tuesday. Here is a bit of useful background on Charles Parnell and Michael Davitt. It will help you to understand what is going on in this chapter.
E2CP: This weekend you should be working on the scenes you started Monday and Tuesday. For these scenes I expect the following:
- Clear, strong scripts derived from the Twain text
- Performances (live or on video) that are practiced and show evidence of understanding the issues within the scene you are playing
- Appropriate and consistent costuming and prop use
- Recognition of audience: be sure that you are aware that you have an audience and that you are playing and speaking to that audience
- Length of scenes should be approximately 3-5 minutes and may include a Mark Twain narrative character who can explore the satirical elements of the scene and how it connects to the book as a whole
- After each presentation, the entire group will present a prepared discussion of the important elements of the scene and be ready to answer any questions from the teacher or audience
- The group should explain how this scene reflects Twain's view of the "damned human race" and why it is a part of the journey of Huck Finn and Jim

0 comments:
Post a Comment