ACCEPTANCE...empathy...Integrity...ReSpOnSiBiLiTy...ACCOUNTABILITY

Thursday, May 6, 2010

I got the AP Blues

The AP Blues
(with apologies to Langston Hughes)

Teaching some crazy conjugated verbs,
Hoping I can find a way not to disturb
the universe, I stood
Eyes on empty seats instead of other eyes
Wondering where they were; they'd gone without goodbyes--
and then I understood
and then I understood:
I was singing those AP Blues.
Empty seats filled my room into Period 2
I kissed my well-thought out lesson plans adieu.
O Blues!
Was it Chem, AP Calc, was possibly French?
It didn't matter which; my class was now back bench
Damn Blues!
Killing classes every May.
O Blues!
Every year I think: things are looking pretty strong
Then AP signs go up, and I sing the same damn song:
"Ain't got nobody in the whole damn class,
Talking to no one but myself.
Two weeks of twiddling thumbs and
That's a whole unit on the shelf."
Stomp, stomp, stomp goes my foot on the floor.
Ripping my hair out, I sing some more:
"I got the AP Blues
And I can't be satisfied.
Got the AP Blues
And can't be satisfied.
I want to cover more
But I guess my hands are tied."
And on throughout the day I croon that tune
To empty desks the whole afternoon
And for the two or three who wander in
I tell them the AP Blues won't let me begin
Cause whatever I say I'll just say again
and again
and again...

Jrs: More tomorrow on chants. Don't forget that you may bring in outsiders for this but they have to be able to make it to class to perform. (They also have to be juniors or seniors.)

Sophs: Tonight: read Werewolf by Angela Carter. Go online to the boards and discuss how gender roles and culture affect the choices we make, using these stories as support.

Drama: on and on we go...

And now, something utterly amazing:



Bookmark and Share

0 comments:

 
Calendar