ACCEPTANCE...empathy...Integrity...ReSpOnSiBiLiTy...ACCOUNTABILITY

Friday, March 7, 2008

workin' for the weekend...

I think I've never read a story faster in my life than I read Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge today in E2H...if I was not wiped out before that, I certainly am now...

OK...what to do, what to do...

This weekend it's all about the boards:

E3H: the key questions have to do with theme: what is the ultimate message of Oedipus the King? Sophocles probably didn't even believe in the gods, but he created a world view in which trying to avoid their prophecy constituted the height of hubris. You should not/cannot place yourself above the gods, right? Yet we know too (and so did Sophocles) that Oedipud at every step of the way had decisions to make that could have and should have altered the outcome of this play. So in the Great Throw-Down between Fate and Free Will, who wins here? What does this play argue? (Also check the poll in the "Oedipus the King Speech" thread; I'd like your opinion.) Finally, read the play Antigone for Wednesday.

E2H: re-read Ambrose Bierce's An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge in your Short Fiction book. On the Short Stories board, discuss issues you find within that story, but especially talk about foreshadowing and mood. Then read Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher and explore it for the same factors.

Drama: secret spy selection has been moved to Tuesday! We will be discussing and sharing observations on Monday as well as seeing the start of a new project. Next stop after that: Stanislavski. Please note: if anyone has suggestions about the play we'll be dong, let me know (or better yet: bring me a copy of what you have in mind!)...

random thought of the day: There is nothing new under the sun but there are lots of old things we don't know. (A. Bierce)

0 comments:

 
Calendar